Cottage in BartonBarton

Barton is a long village a few miles north of Preston in central Lancashire. The village is prehaps best known for its largest Hotel, Barton Grange at the southern end of the village and its Garden Center which was until a few years ago in the hotel grounds, but has recently moved to purpose built premises just north of Brock a few miles north on the A6.

 

Barton MilestoneHistorical Barton

St Lawrence Church was founded before 1577. Likely round the time the village was established. Barton Grange was built in 1900, as a country residence for Mr John Healey, a Justice of the Peace and local cotton mill owner. This house later became a Hotel and Garden center.

 

View Larger Map

The A6 and M6 in Barton

The A6 for about a mile forms the Boundary between Barton and Myerscough and Bilsborrow. It enters the parish at where an old milepost stands. The A6 continues southward through the village of Barton, crossing over the main London Glasgow railway line which seperates the northern part of the village from the main village. After the railway bridge most of the village is to the east of the A6.

The M6 continues south slightly easterly through the parish just east of the village, seperating the village with the more rural parts of the parish to the east.