Beetham VillageBeetham and Hale

Going south from Milnthorpe the A6 passes the Dallam Towers Deer Park across the River Bela on the right hand side before entering the village of Beetham. A paper factory stands between the A6 and the Bela as the road enters the village. The road is carried over the Bela on a bridge built in the 1960's then continues to the east of the village along a road improved in the 1960's to Hale a hamlet which stretches up a side road to the west of the A6. The A6 the continues road a bend then crossing the Lancashire boundary about a mile south of the Hale cross roads.

 

An old fortified farm house just west of the A6 between Hale & BeethamHistoric Beetham & Hale

Beetham village, which lies just to the west of the A6 has retained its historic appeal the historic Wheatsheaf Inn next door is an 1881 post office with a black and white studded door. The village church, St Michael and All Angels. Parts of which dates back to the late 12th century.

Between Beetham and Hale are the remains of Beetham Hall, a 14th century fortified house. Hale village is home to an 1810 coaching inn, the Kings Arms Hotel, opened in Turnpike days, whilst on the opposite side of the A6 Hale garage still sells cars but is no longer open for petrol.

Map of Main Routes in Beetham, Click on Map for Larger ImageThe A6 and M6 in Beetham and Hale

The A6 enters Beetham from Milnthorpe heading south east, turning south westerly as it passes the paper factory. Crossing the Bela the main road swings south east just east of Beetham village following the Turnpike route to Hale. This section of the A6 was extensively widened in the 1960's following the opening of the M6 Lancaster Bypass. After passing Hale the A6 turns southerly along Hale Moss to pass the county boundary into Lancashire. The M6 is now only about one and a half miles east of the A6 northern access can be gained by using the minor road to Farlton near junction 36 whist southbound access can be gained by following the A6 to junction 35