Bolton le Sands VillageBolton le Sands

Bolton le Sands as it name suggests sits by the sands of Morecambe Bay in north Lancashire. For centuries a road left either Bolton le Sands or its neighboring village Hest Bank to go across the sands to Kents Bank on the Cartmel Peninsula, another road went from the this peninsula to the Furness Peninsula near Ulverston. These road being accessed at Low Tides.

 

 

One of Bolton le Sands oldest housesHistorical Bolton le Sands

Bolton le Sands, originally called Bolton is one of the oldest villages in north Lancashire, its situation on the main road north and near te sands made it one of the principal villages for both travellers and locals, with the fishing and agricutural industries tending to dominate. The village church and school go back several centuries. More recently the village has expanded with new estates being built along the western side of the A6 to make the village on of the largest villages in north Lancashire.

 

Map of Bolton le SandsThe A6 & M6 in Bolton le Sands

The A6 enters Bolton le Sands from the north form nearby Carnforth, continuing by the Lancaster Canal past several farms, before entering the village proper. This part of the A6 is one of the busiest section being similar to Carnforth in that it carries all the northern traffic to Morecambe. The A6 passes through several bends before entering Bypass Road. Up until the 1920's the A6 went up a hill and across a narrow canal bridge on a bend. Today even with local traffic it is traffic light controled. Back in the 1920's a policeman was needed to prevent accidents at this spot. The old road continues through the village centre as a narrow street before pssing the church and eventually rejoining the new A6 at Slyne Road. The bypaas continues west of the village, to a junction with the A5105 the main road to Morecambe, where it becomes considerably quiter. This section of the A6 has been reworked in recent years with a lower speed limit (30) new markings and speed cameras. The A6 continues over the canal the rejoins the old road through the southern end of the village before entering Slyne.

The M6 bypasses Bolton le Sands about a mile to the east as part of the Lancaster Bypass opened in 1960, it was the second time Bolton le Sands has been bypassed.