Construction of Junction 32 of the M6 in BroughtonBroughton

Broughton is the last village on the A6 before the road enters Preston, standing a short distance north of the city. The village is prehaps best known to the A6 traveller for its traffic lights with the B5269 with traffic on the northbound side streching at times back to the M55 roundabout on the outskirts of Preston. Broughton has several unique claims. The Broughton C of E primary school is the oldest in the country, being built in 1590 and it is the only parish in the UK to have a fire, police and ambulance headquarters within its own boundaries

 

The A6 in BroughtonHistorical Broughton

The Parish Church of St John Baptist is the centre of a large Anglican community, with two satellite worship centres and a parish hall in nearby Fulwood on the outskirts of Preston. The church choir of approximately 30 men and 30 boys is directed by John Catterall MBE. They sing at two Sunday services and on other occasions, except when on their annual tours to France and the Isle of Man.

The church steeple dates from 1533 and is the oldest working building in Preston. The nave was replaced in 1826, while the choir was added in 1906. There is evidence of a church having been on the site before the sixteenth century, and the font is thought to be Saxon. The civil parish also contains the Roman Catholic church of St Mary's, Fernyhalgh.

There is evidence that the village has been home to a football club since the early 1900s. However the current club, Broughton Amateurs AFC, was formed in 1947 and they play in the Lancashire Amateur League. During their 'glory years' of the late 1970s through the 1980s they were managed by ex-Preston North End & Birmingham City striker Eddy Brown

 

View Larger Map

The A6 and M6 in Broughton

The A6 enters Broughton just south of the end of Barton village. It turns southeasterly before turing more southerly before entering the village. It continues southward crossing the B5269 at the village centre then continues southwards to the roundabout with the M55 at junction 1 of that motorway before crossing into Preston just south of the roundabout.

The fact that this roundabout is in Broughton means that some of the original part of the M6 the Preston bypass, Britains first motorway was in Broughton as this roundabout was the northern end of the M6 in 1958. The M6 went from here as a 2 lane motorway going first of all easterly before turning southerly and entering Preston. The M6 was built further north in 1965 and nowerdays this section enters Broughton about a mile north of Junction 32, however the northern part of junction 32 is in the neighbouring parish of Whittingham, the southern part is in Broughton.