Station Hotel part of 19th Century Carlisle19th Century Carlisle

Carlisle continued to grow during and following the industrial revolution, the turnpikes came late to Carlisle in comparison with more southern english cities. Carlisle's first two trusts where set up in 1753 these where the Carlisle and Workington Trust and the one we are interested with here, the Carlisle and Eamont Bridge trust.

 

 

Carlisle Citadel where the Turnpike startedThe ten trustees of the trust where:- Sir William Dalston, knight; Edward Hasell, William Milbourne, Thomas Benson, John Losh, Lancelot Simpson, Thomas Simpson and John Gaskarth, Esqs. Rev. John Cowper, Clerk; and Jeremiah Adderton.

 

 

Bothchergate most building date back before the 19th century, the Turnpike made its way north through hereBy the time of the setting up of the trust building along the road would have likely reached along Botchergate so the first or so mile would be an urban road however from there to where today the motorway roadabout sits at junction 40 the road would be rural except for the passage through Carleton.

 

 

Carlisle was once full of small lanes some which survive to todayNo doubt the trust improved the road south out of Carlisle, however from 1846 the Trust had a new rival with the arrival of the railway from Lancaster, ironically Carlisle's main station was built just west of the end of the turnpike in site of the Citadel (called Carlisle Citadel). Soon after the coming of the railways this trust and others where wound up, the maintaince of the road being taken over by the local authority.