CatteralCatterall

Catterall is the southerly of the villages that is bypassed by the Garstang Bypass section of the A6 and is the largest after Garstang. The village stands just south of the River Calder a tributary of the River Wyre. The main village stands between the River and the point where todays A6 joins its predessesor the B6430

 

Canal Bridge, CatteralHistoric Catterall

Catterall is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Catrehala Later names include Catrehal, 1272; Katerhalle, 1277; Caterhale, Caterale, 1292.

The etymology of the name suggests that the 'hala'or 'halh' part may refer to a topographical feature, indicating that the land mass forming the parish was, a 'promontory into the marsh'. The western edge of the parish does indeed border the flatlands of The Fylde. The same source also suggests that the first section of the name may be associated with a cat. However, this is an educated guess, as no other evidence has been uncovered to support the theory, other than the observation that the old parish boundary had the appearance of a (cats?) tongue.

On 14 February 1716, three local men (Joseph Wadsworth and Thomas Goose of Catterall and Thomas Cartmell of Claughton) were executed for joining the Jacobite rebellion of 1715. They were reputedly executed at Stocks Lane End. In modern times, this is where Cock Robin Lane and Catterall Lane join the A6.

 

View Larger Map

The A6 and M6 in Catterall

Catterall is the place where the Old A6 now the B6430 merges with todays A6 following the late 1920's diversions to bypass Garstang. The A6 today enters Catterall just south of the A586 junction where the A6 crosses the River Wyre, it then heads south easterly to join with the B6430 just south of Catterall village. The original A6 entered Catterall from Bowgreave at the bridge over the River Calder a tributary of the Wyre and continues through Catterall village to merge with the new A6 shortly after leaving the village. The combined road then heads south leaving Catterall near to where the A6 crosses the Lancaster Canal.

The M6 heads virtually straight north to south through Catterall. At the southern end of the village the A6 and M6 come very near to each other just being separated by the main London Glasgow Railway line