fortonForton

To anyone outside the immediate area the name Forton after brings up one image the services on the M6 with its unique tower. In fact the services are right on the eastern edge of the parish, the M6 is only in the parish for just about the duration of the services. However the A6 runs through the centre of the parish with the main village lying just to the west.

 

 

fortonHistorical Forton

Forton means "fore enclosure" or "fenced-in-place’ and is a very ancient rural community. Forton once belonged to the Abbot of Cockersands Abbey before Henry VIII’s dissolution of the monasteries. A mixture of stone and brick cottages flank Hollins Lane, the chapel which became the United Reform Church was built around 1707. It is likely village live in early centuries would have revolved 3 things, the sands of Morecambe Bay and the fishing and cockling industries which where not too far away, Agriculture as although there are hill in the eastern side of the parish the more west the are becomes flatter and suitable for agricultural purposes and the road as a means of marketing products made locally in nearby Lancaster, Garstang and even Preston. This communication was improved in the early 1800's by the opening of the Lancaster Canal which went very near to the main village.

 

fortonThe A6 and M6 in Forton

Starting this time with the M6 it is literally in the Parish from where the slip road leaves the motorway on one side to where it rejoins on the other, it then reenters the parish for another few 100 yards slightly south of the sevices but what an impact this makes if one was to pick a photo of something that represents the M6 then Forton Services would be a very strong candidate.

The A6 enters Forton just south of the Bay Horse junction and continues on a southward path to leave just near to some cottages just before Cabus, it is likely that the A6 has been diverted at this point doing its recent history as a small narrow road goes to the west of the cottages and loops back to the A6