The Market Cross Garstang19th Century Garstang

In the centre of the Garstang's Market Place is the Market Cross (Left), erected in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. Going south on the A6 in pre bypass days the A6 traveller would pass this on there right. Nearby were Garstang's stocks where wrong-doers were placed to sit out the allotted hours thought necessary to expiate their crime.

In 1894 anew Municipal Corporation Act meant the creation of the Rural District of Garstang. This parish contained the townships of Claughton, Catterall, Kirkland, Nateby, Winmarleigh, Cabus, Barnacre-with-Bonds, Nether Wyresdale, Forton, Holleth, Cleveley, Bilsborrow, and Pilling. This continued until 1974where the reorganisation of local government meant that Garstang RDC disappeared to be replaced by Garstang Town Council and all existing administrative functions passed to Wyre Borough Council.

 

The Lancaster Canal windes it way through Garstang. This was originally designed by an engineer John Rennie, construction began in 1792 and it was officially opened in 1797. The canal was used to transport coal, slate, timber, food, rope and limestone and later offered a passenger service between Preston and Kendal. Garstang rope was transported to many docks including Lancaster, Glasson and Preston. The Lancaster Canal has one of the longest lock free canals in Britain running for 51 miles (82km) with 199 bridges. The canal was prosperous until 1840 when the Lancaster and Preston railway began operating. The main line by-passed Garstang until in 1870 a junction line was built from Garstang to Knott End but it was deemed not profitable and was closed in the 1960's.

Two turnpike trusts meet at Garstang, the Garstang and Heiring Syke Trust established in 1751 going north oujt of Garstang to the Westmoreland (today Cumbria) border at Heiring Syke today a tiny hamlet just south of Burton in Kendal on the A6070 and the shorter Preston and Garstang Trust established a few years earlier in 1750.