Middle Centuries Garstang
The name Garstang likely comes from the Saxon word "Gaerstung" meaning common land or meadowland. The Doomsday Book describesthe township as 'Cherestanc'. In 1310 Edward II first granted the Market Charter. Garstang in common with a lot of townships that where establish on England's main roads would be a mixture of local facilities, such as a market, shops, church and other places to serve the local community and facilities such as Inns, stables to serve the traveller.
Thomas Stanley, the 1st Earl of Derby built nearby Greenhalgh Castle.. It was constructed in the form of a square with one tower. It's presence contributed to the peace and stability of the surrounding country during those difficult times and remained until the Civil War. King Charles II is alleged to have spent the night in a town centre pub, the Royal Oak, during the Civil War. After the war ended the Parliamentarians ordered the castle to be dismantled and local farmers were not slow to make use of it as an unofficial quarry. Only the ruins of one of the four corner towers survive to this day. It is said that the castle was blown out by Cromwell's cannon from a point on which now stands Cromwell House.
In 1679 King Charles II renewed Garstang's charter, making Garstang a free borough to be governed by a bailiff and seven burgesses.The Parish Church of Garstang is St. Helen, which dates from 1160 and is situated in Churchtown, about one and a half miles west of Garstang. In 1769 a church was built on the present site in Church St. and consecrated in the name of St. Thomas in 1848 being created a separate parish in 1881.