High Hesket Village High Hesket

About a mile after leaving the village of Low Hesket the A6 make a veer to the right to become a dual carriageway, whilst a minor road goes off the the left, this minor road the original Roman Road and A6 continues through the village of High Hesket, a slightly larger village than Low Hesket being served by an Inn, School and a Church as befits the main centre of this part of Cumbria. Breaking news for Cumbria including the Low Hesket area can be found on our Cumbria News Page. A photo Gallery for High Hesket where photos can be viewed and uploaded can be found on our Galleries Page

 

High Hesket Church

Historical High Hesket

High Hesket stands on the Roman Road from Carlisle to Penrith, for centuries this road was the main north south route in this part of North West England. High Hesket was a convenient stopping off point between Carlisle and Penrith, with an Inn and church dating back to the 13th century. During the 18th and 19th Cenrury the main road through High Hesket was under the control of the Carlisle and Eamont Bridge Turnpike Trust.

 

The A6 and M6 in High Hesket

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Today neither the A6 or the M6 go through High Hesket, the village was deemed large enough and enough of a bottleneck to have one of the early village bypasses built we have not as yet established a precise date for this bypass however map evidence shows to to be in either the 1920's or 30's. The new road was unusual for the time in that it ended in a dual carriageway. In the 1970's this bypass was itself bypassed by the M6 leaving the village main street to become a quiet village street.