Kirkland  would have been busy in the 19th Century19th Century Kendal

Kendal was a thriving town in the 19th Century, along with its woolen industry, the town prospered from Shoe Making and later from Financial Institutes such as Banking and Insurance. Kendal also prospered from the coming of the railways with nearby Oxenholme Station being opened 1846 along with the branch through Kendal then later on to Windermere. Kendal effectively became the Gateway to the Lakes and taking advantage of the new tourist trade brought about by the Railways. By the nineteenth century Kendal had outstripped Appleby as the chief town of Westmoreland, it was also more central to the county, in recognition of this the county administration was moved from Appleby to Kendal however Appleby still remained the official county town.

 

Stramongate Bridge the main Bridge to the North in Turnpike DaysTurnpikes in Kendal.

By the beginning of the 19th century the main Turnpike through Kendal was the Heiring Syke and Eamont Bridge Trust, this likely entered Kendal along the route of the A65 from the south leaving via the A6 to Selside. This trust was later joined by the Kendal, Milnthorpe and Clawthorpe Trust, which followed the A6 route from Milnthorpe. the Keighley-Kirkby Lonsdale-Kendal also used the A65 route the Applebly-\Kendal followed the A685 whilst the Hesket Newmarket-Cockermouth-Keswick-Kendal-Windermere, Keswick-Penrith followed the A59 the Kirkby Stephen-Sedbergh-Greta Bridge, Sedbergh-Kendal, Sedbergh-Grayrigg followed the A684, this in effect completed the routes into Kendal that became 'A' roads in the 20th Century the Kendal and Bowland Bridge using a minor road whilst the Kendal-Kirkby Ireleth would have used the A590. These turnpikes made Kendal a major route centre something it continued to be until being bypassed by the A591 and M6 in the 1970's.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player