Levens Village CentreLevens and Levens Bridge

Today Levens village stands just north west of the junction between the A6 and A590 the M6 to Barrow in Furness trunk road today the major of the two roads. Levens village can be seen by the A6 traveler going north as they come under the A590 before turning right onto the slip road. Levens Bridge is a separate hamlet on the A6 at the Dual carriageway just north of Heversham just containing a few houses along with the historic Levens Hall and the bridge which gives the hamlet its name over the River Kent a River the A6 passes over in Kendal, the bridge being just north of the dual carriageway.

 

levens hallHistorical Levens and Levens Bridge

Levens is mentioned in the Doomsday Book as Lefuenes, was held at that time by the Earl of Northumberland, later passing to Roger Poictou, and then to Ketel, son of Uchtred, who had large possessions in this part of the county, but in 1188 he sold the part of this manor called Over Levens, to the Redeman family, who continued at Levens Hall till the reign of Henry VII.

Much of Leven's documented history is tied to Levens Hall just west of the A6 at Levens Bridge. the first dwelling dates from about 1350, a pele tower built to defend the area against Scottish raiders. In 1694 the two wings at the rear of the House, where built forming a courtyard. All building was completed by the addition of the Howard Tower in 1820.

Levens village about a mile away, likely grew to serve the hall, being about a mile north west of the hall overlooking the lyth valley. It has developed into one of south cumbria's larger villages with a church, school and several shops.

 

The A6 dual carrigewy approaching levensbridgeThe A6 & M6 in Levens Bridge

The original A6 came bypassed Levens Village to east, coming in from the north from Sizergh then dropping down to one of its lowest points as it comes into Levens Bridge, the main routes are shown below:-

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

In about 1927 a new dual carrigeway was built south of where up until 1984 the A6 joined with the A590, later at a set of traffic lights where added, the main routes are shown below:-

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

In 1984 the A590 was dualed turning the A6 into a triangliar one way system with northbound trafic turning left onto the former A590 the completing a 'U' turn to join the new A590 via a slip road. Southbound A6 traffic continued to use the old A6, the traffic lights where removed and a 'T' junction put in place. The current configeration is shown below:-

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player