Carlisle CastleMiddle Centuries Carlisle

The Romans left Carlisle sometime early in the forth century. Leaving behind a fort, Hadrian's Wall and a civil township still called Luguvalium. The fact that Carlisle continued as a main centre for north cumbria is testified by its continued existence. During the next 600 years Carlisle would come under Anglo Saxon rule as these moved north in the sixth century, during that century Cumbria was an independent realm, however it soon cede to its more powerful neighbor Northumbria. The Anglo Saxon name for Carlisle was Luel. During the late 8th century Cumbria came under attack from norse men or Vikings before ceding to the Normans after 1066.

 

During the Norman period Carlisle was made county town of Cumberland, a castle eventually been established by the Eden the remains of which can be seen today.

 

The city continued to be a major commercial and industrial centre for the far north west of England.

As the A6 is on a Roman Road very little happened as regards its route, which remained unchanged, however new buildings would line the route including the area where the modern day A6 starts which was the southern end of the city once called Botcher Gate or English Gate, later the twin towers of the citadel where built.