A artist impresion of near Penrith in saxon timesMiddle Centuries Penrith

The roman camp of Voreda has long gone from the Landscape, now Penrith is a town 4 miles south of the Roman camp. When did this transformation happen? It is likely in the time of the Angles and Saxons from about 400ce - 800 ce that the town of Penrith began to appear in its present location with the Roman camp being abandoned when the Romans left the area about 300 ce.

 

 

Penrith was  natural route centre this clock stands where the main routes once metAnglo Saxon Penrith

It is likely during Anglo Saxon times that Penrith was established in its present location. As the angles migrated across Britain they built towns and villages many of which survive today. The site just north of the River Eamont was a natural meeting place of roads with several Roman Roads meeting this would be an ideal settlement. It is believed that a settlement with a church was founded during these times.

 

Penroith castle from an old drawingNorman Penrith and Penrith Castle

Shorrtly after the Norman Conqust, the town becoming important enough to be given a Royal Charter by Henry 3rd. Astart was made of Penrith Castle around 1397 the castle was built as a primary defense against Scotish Invasion, the town having being raided in 1314, 1345 and 1382. The town continued to prosper with the building of the Castle and became an important centre for cotton weaving.

 

The narrows a bottleneck on Penrith roadsRoads in Penrith

The main Roman road came into Penrith from Carlisle along the line of the A6, it left to the east along the line of the modern A66. Just east of Penrith the road split with a road going south west of the pennines to Low Borrow Bridge just south of Tebay. Another road came near to Penrith from the south west the old High Street route to Windermere. The main road continued as it does today however the road to Low Borrow Bridge degenerated into a country lane. During Anglo Saxon times increasing use was made of the road to Shap (A6), it becoming the prefered route south to Kendal by about 1425 with the building of the bridge over the River Eamont.