Approaching Selside on the A6Selside

Selside is a small village on the A6 between Shap and Kendal, it nestles in the fells above Kendal, it is a village you may hardly notice except for a hotel and a few houses. Last time we passed the Hotel the Plough with its destinctive Plough sign on the A6 had closed and was up for sale, a filling station with magnificant veiws over the Longsleddale vally had also gone, however despite this Selside still supports a school and a church. Breaking news for Cumbria including the Selside area can be found on our Cumbria News Page. A photo Gallery for Selside where photos can be viewed and uploaded can be found on our Galleries Page

 

The plough from the A6Historical Selside

Selside has been around since the 14th century when a pele tower in the village was built, later being converted into an Elizabethan farmhouse, Selside Hall.

St Thomas Church, was built in 1838, and a broad tower was added in 1894. The church isn't the first on the site. There was a chapel here a hundred years earlier that was built in a burial ground. A free school, endowed in 1730, was rebuilt in 1793 and renovated in 1831. Whiteside was a large common in Selside but, in 1825, it was enclosed.

 

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The A6 & M6 in Selside

The A6 runs through Selside in a sereis of curves roughly south west to north east as it climbs out of Kendal onto the Shap Fells. Since the opening of the M6 in 1970 the A6 has become a much more quiter road than when all the north south traffic used it. However it is busier than sections further north in that it takes traffic going north out of Kendal to the M6. Until recently this section of the A6 was a primary rouite but has been downgraded to non primary.

The M6 bypasses Selside several miles to the east, access from Selside will either be to Junction 39 nortbound of Junction 36 southbound however this will mean a journey through Kendal.